Thursday, May 04, 2006

The search for inspiration

At Wimbledon 2002, Pete Sampras read a note from his wife during a changeover. It was supposed to contain words of inspiration. Of course, I am not emotionally that low, nor did I reach the heights that Pete did! However, I am citing that example because I'm searching for some inspiration in any direction at this time. Right now there does not appear to be any motivation for me to stay in my current career path, other than simply "there is a paycheck at the end of every two weeks". I am not in any immediate or near danger of running out of money. Therefore, as counter-intuitive as it might seem, money is just not my biggest motivator at this point in time. I am sure, hypothetically, if I had to rely on my next paycheck to make next month's rent, then that would be enough inspiration for me to stay in my career. Then again, that situation is hypothetical. Human beings are like animals and are driven by animal instinct. Since starvation and poverty are not imminent, my job is not my key to survival.

On the other hand, I don't have to find inspiration that will necessarily take me away from my career path. In some ways that would be a more ideal situation if I can find a silver lining within my work that will make me want to excel at it and be proud of it. But at the moment, there is not much competitive spirit that drives me to work at my job. And I think that time is running out and I'm pretty close to the end of the line with software engineering. I believe there are things that are interesting about it but somehow nothing seems to be quite in the right place or at the right time.

I am hoping the career counselor that I am seeing in a few days will help me identify my strong points.

No comments: