There was a call bright and early this morning from Merrill Lynch. It was Nancy, the admin, telling me that my background check had still not cleared (they take these things seriously in the financial world) and that I couldn't start today. Instead, I can turn up for work tomorrow.
So my dream vacation was extended by another oh-so-sweet day. YIPPEE! I had half a mind to ask them if they were sure that I didn't have to start next week. No, seriously, I do have to get back to work. Sabbatical shmabbatical.
I guess it turned out to be a good dress rehearsal for tomorrow. No pun intended! I did get dressed - well almost, anyway. I was standing at my sink half naked shaving off a 5-day-old beard when the call arrived.
There was a certain familiar feeling about going back to work - which is terrific news! I had the same old tired exhausted feeling when I wake up too early, my mind was a jumble of thought, emotion, and something indefinable, I ran to put the coffee on the burner, I couldn't decide exactly which plain white shirt I should wear, I couldn't find my tie, couldn't decide where my office bag was, was already planning my weekend, was already running late.....ah sweet sensation - in other words, I'M BACK, BABY ;-)
I got the chance to ask Nancy the million dollar question - what time do I have to show up at work tomorrow? No doubt, I wanted to find out what the meaning of the word "late" was - or better still, did the concept exist? She replied chirpily - "oh even if you get to work by 8, it is fine".
8AM??? - this is like graveyard shift! Or, in other words, the time at which most of America reports to work. I have been having the luxury of showing up at 9-9:15 in my software jobs, so I suppose it's time for a wake up call (again no pun intended).
Well, it's that time again. It is good to be back in the workforce, driving us all forward towards the future (which is the direction in which we're all going anyway, come to think of it). Finally I will earn a salary and get back on my feet.
This time, though, things are going to be different. Watch this.
2 comments:
Really!! so monday blues could not get a kick start! just your luck. Must have realised that this guy belongs to the late riser group B.So why not give him another days freedom before he is chained hand, legs foot and all! So today of all days must have reaalllly felt free. The real taste of freedom on the eve of unfreedom in a manner of saying. Enjoy anyway the bounty thanks to nancy or whoever it was. Unless they mean to give you this call everyday!
Aaww what a shame, all that preparation gone to waste! Make the most of the reprieve because as of tomorrow you will be one of us again (a living zombie, in a rush to end yet another day only to start again after a few hours of sleep?). Asking "why the hell am I doing this"? and anwering "well I have to pay the bills and perhaps earn respect from others" this is what it has come to.
Not to worry, you will soon fit in and feel like you have never been away - in less than a week I guess! Make the most of a new day.
Post a Comment